The first meeting of the
steering committee to form a lodge was in the house of Mrs Williamson
in the village of Kennoway in September 1762.
A charter was requested from the Grand Lodge of Scotland and this
petition was read in Grand Lodge on the 8th February 1763 and was
approved. (This is date on the Charter). The petitioners were
Thomas Peat, who was the first Master, Christopher Seton, Alexander
Livingstone and other Brethren.
The first meetings were held in the house of Mrs Williamson on the
Causeway in Kennoway.
The regulations of the Lodge cover seven pages of the first minute book
and on the 9th September 1763 and on the 4th October 1763, 79 men
described as members of Elgin's Lodge at Leven signed their name and
one made his mark. They signed on the pain of undergoing such penalty
or censures the Lodge shall think proper to inflict on any of us if we
act to the contrary, Witness our hand. A remarkable number of
people to be founder members and able to write their name.
On the 5th April 1768 the Lodge agreed to impose a fine of 4 pence on
any Brother who, living within 2.5 miles of the Lodge did not attend
the meetings without a reasonable excuse, and 6 pence on office bearers.
From around 1774 the Lodge was operating in Leven but it is not known
where this was. It must have been in the west of the town as in one of
the minutes it is noted that the Lodge marched in possession from the
west of Leven.
The corner stone of the first Lodge was laid in Leven on the 1st of
July 1794. (This had been held in abeyance for 10 years due to lack of
funds). They must have had a treasurer like our current one as he was
only prepared to pay one of the Brethren for cartage 6 pence from
Scoonie Den and 8 pence from Durie Quarry.
The first Lodge was lit by gas in 1839.
The foundation stone of the current Lodge was laid 8th October1898.
The most famous Master is Field Marshal Earl Haig who was Master in
The Lodge was given up as a barracks at the start of the first world
war and it was agreed in committee that the Lodge would not make Masons
as long as it was occupied by the army. It was also used for the
same purpose during the Second World War.
As there appears to be no record of a change, it can be assumed that
the ritual used today was agreed around 1820/30.
The Lodge is in possession of all the minute books thanks to a Brother,
who, was instructed by the Master to go out and collect them form all
the Brethren who had taken them from the Lodge. He did this, and as he
was a joiner had made a large chest and the books are still in the
chest. This took place around 1885.